1. When was the library first opened?
The library first opened on June 21, 1961. The first location was the former First National Bank of East Islip. After six years, in 1967, a new library building was completed at the present location.
2. How big was the first building on this site?
The first building built on this premises was 16,800 square feet and was designed to hold 70,000 volumes.
3. When was the bond vote for the new building?
The bond vote for the new building was held on December 6, 2001.
4. How was the new building funded?
The new building was funded with an 8.25 million dollar bond that will be paid over a 20 year period. This cost represents the total of all construction and professional fees.
5. When was the groundbreaking for the new building?
The groundbreaking for the new building occurred on September 13, 2003, at 12:00 noon.
6. Who was the architect?
The architect of the new building was Beatty, Harvey and Associates.
7. Who was the building contractor?
The contractor of the new building was Rockmore Contracting Corporation of Smithtown, NY.
8. When did the addition first open?
The new addition opened on December 16, 2004.
9. What is in the new portion of the building?
The addition is 16,000 square feet, including two stories and a basement. An elevator makes all levels of the library handicapped accessible.
10. What was the population in 1967? What is it now?
In 1967 the population was 14,000. It has grown since then, with a current population of 25,800.