In the latter half of the 1950’s a group of concerned residents of the East Islip School District #3 wanted to establish a public library in the community.
November 11, 1960
The group’s first meeting was held on the evening of November 11, 1960. That group of citizens became the first Board of Trustees, with Carl Duttennofer becoming President, Martha Goldsmith as secretary, and Rudolph Koubeck, Pasquale Mauriello, and Seymour Rankowitz as members.
The library’s first location was in the former building of the First National Bank of East Islip, located at 100 West Main Street, East Islip, NY 11730. A provisional charter was granted by the Board of Regents of the State of New York in December of 1960.
April 1, 1961
The first library director, Mr. Bradford Harrison III, was hired on April 1, 1961, serving as the director until July 5, 1961.
June 17, 1961
The dedication of the first library, housed in the former First National Bank building, was held on June 17, 1961.
June 21, 1961
The newly formed library opened its doors for the first time on June 21, 1961. The library would operate from this location for 6 years, until the construction and completion of the new building in 1967.
In July of 1961, after the retirement of Mr. Harrison, Gertrude Schweibish was appointed library director.